Fri June 15, 2012
Volunteers From Six States Expected to Participate in River Cleanup Tomorrow
Volunteers from Pittsburgh to Cairo, Illinois will gather along the banks of the Ohio River tomorrow for a concentrated effort to clean the river.
This is the 23rd annual Ohio River Sweep, and more than 15,000 volunteers from six states are expected to participate. The event is organized by the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission, and locally by the Metropolitan Sewer District.
There are six Louisville-area locations where volunteers will be gathering debris from the banks of the river from 9:00 a.m. to noon tomorrow. The sites are:
- Hayes Kennedy Park (Public, not manned, supplies should be picked up at Juniper Beach area)
- Juniper Beach Area (Public): Lime Kiln Lane at River Road (Fire Station)
- Cox Park (Public)
- Eva Bandman Park (Public)
- Shawnee Park (Public): Riverwalk entrance at the Ball Field Parking lot
- Riverview Park (Public): Greenwood Road and Cane Run Road.
Volunteers may contact Becky Bennett at 502-540-6552.